Job Advert Details
About the opportunity:
We are currently looking for a permanent Electricity Networks Control Engineer to join our growing Asset Management department on a remote basis with occasional visits at our Hamilton office.
As an Electricity Networks Control Engineer, you will manage operations and control of the company’s electricity distribution networks; ensure compliance in terms of safety, best practice, legislation, accreditations, industry, and company standards; provide support for activities on, and additions to, the company’s electricity networks and provide accurate and timely reporting on network statistics and regulatory returns.
Have you got the drive to go the Last Mile?
- Ensure electricity supplies to Last Mile Electricity customers are restored as quickly and efficiently as possible following notification of supply interruptions.
- Daily first point of contact for: -
- Customers reporting network incidents, via the contact centre, that require emergency and planned response.
- Contracted ESP’s (Emergency Service Providers), for dispatch and resolution of supply interruption, urgent supply quality, and safety related incidents.
- Other contractors, for planned routine maintenance, oil sampling, and reactive repairs.
- ICP’s carrying out notifiable planned works on the companies electricity networks.
- Managing emergency incidents, dispatch of emergency response, contact with call centre, customers, and contractors, through to satisfactorily resolution.
- Receipt and processing of ‘Electricity Network Connection and Access Requests’ for planned works taking place on the company’s electricity networks. Ensure compliance with regulatory, health and safety, and quality requirements for connection of new networks and extensions to existing networks.
- Respond to, investigate, determine and complete actions to resolve customer voltage, or other quality of supply, complaints.
- Manage planned reactive works resulting from periodic inspection ‘Corrective Action Reports’ or otherwise from contractors, customers, developers, ICP’s etc.
- Receive, process, and issue authorisation certificates for individuals, ICP’s, and direct contractors. Ensure reviews and renewals are completed.
- Inclusion on the company’s standby rota to cover incidents outside of normal business hours. Ensure satisfactory handover of incidents on the next working day and that all incidents are properly recorded, followed up, satisfactorily resolved, and accurately reported on.
- Negotiate quotations for planned works. Provide purchase orders. Review invoices, work packs, query and approve payment of associated contractor and supplier invoices.
- Ensure that the relevant business systems are maintained in good order in respect of the recording of all information related to the company’s electricity assets.
- Provide technical leadership and operational support, where required, to company staff, contractors, and other parties carrying out activities on, or in proximity to, the company’s electricity networks.
- Provide operational contribution to the review and improvement of the company electrical technical standards.
- Drive adherence to, and continuous improvement of, standards, processes and procedures relating to the operation of the company’s electricity networks and associated customer service.
- Maintain compliance with OFGEM Guaranteed Standards of Performance/Guaranteed Standards of Service and other regulatory returns.
Experience / Knowledge:
- Practical experience of operating on electricity distribution networks at Low Voltage
- Working knowledge of safety and electricity legislation e.g., Health & Safety at Work etc Act, Electricity at Work Regulations.
- Excellent knowledge of Distribution Safety Rules.
- Practical experience of network construction, processes, work sequence, materials etc, including familiarity with IDNO/DNO interface arrangements.
- Proven commitment to health, safety, and compliance.
- Experience & understanding of Health & Safety in an electricity construction environment.
- Excellent IT literacy with standard packages, such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and adaptability to commercial/in-house systems.
- Practical experience of operating on electricity distribution networks at High Voltage.
- Working knowledge of electricity distribution legislation e.g., Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations, Electricity Act.
- Knowledge of industry engineering recommendations and guidance documents.
- Experience of contributing to standards, processes, and procedures.
- Experience of managing direct and contract resources, negotiating, managing costs, reviewing and approving invoices.
- General appreciation of Gas/Water utilities.
- Qualification(s) demonstrating electrical technical understanding. E.g C&G 236 / 2339 or equivalent.
- Evidence of operational experience on electricity networks.
- IOSH Managing Safely or Site Manager Safety Training Scheme.
- ONC or higher qualification in Electrical Engineering.
- NEBOSH General Certificate.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to successfully communicate with a range of stakeholders.
- High level of interpersonal skills and the ability to convey technical information.
- Self-starter and highly self-motivated, able to work under minimal supervision with the ability to manage and prioritise conflicting priorities, but recognising when to escalate or seek assistance.
We offer good benefits and remuneration packages, but most importantly, an enjoyable and rewarding place to work. We believe in rewarding our people well and there are plenty of career opportunities for the right person.
In return of your hard work and dedication, we can offer you:
- 25 days holiday, increasing after 2 years by 1 day each year up to 30 days, plus 9 public holidays
- Holiday buy scheme
- Discretionary bonus
- EV and ULEV salary sacrifice scheme (subject to minimum length of service)
- Cycle to work salary sacrifice scheme
- Up to 7% employer pension contribution
- Life assurance (x4 annual basic salary)
- Refer a friend incentive
- Employee assistance programme
- Car allowance
And once you have successfully completed your probation, you will have access to:
- Flexible start and finish times for eligible roles
- Private medical insurance
- Company sick pay
At Last Mile Infrastructure Group, we are one of the UK’s largest Independent Network Owners, owning and operating in excess of 500,000 gas, electricity, water and wastewater connections serving residential and commercial customers. Last Mile Asset Management adopt and operate electricity, gas, water and wastewater, and ground source heat/cooling networks that are designed, installed and commissioned by Lloyds accredited Independent Connection providers (ICPs).
It is our vision to be the UK’s leading independent multi-utility provider. People are our most valuable “asset” and therefore it is our mission to not only attract but retain the best talent to support delivery of our corporate business strategy and share our company’s success.
At Last Mile, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse working environment, where employee wellbeing is at the forefront in making sure our people feel valued. We provide tailored ongoing training and development, but most importantly, long term career opportunities for you to Grow With Us. If you are motivated to succeed and have a ‘can-do’ attitude, we would love to hear from you!